Tuesday, October 30, 2012
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! Because Halloween and Thanksgiving are so close, I thought I would get a jump start before you start throwing away all your pumpkins after the last trick-or-treaters leave tonight!! It is still fall and the winter chill has not fully set in, so we might as well keep feeling festive and re-use our Halloween decoration
.Here are some ideas to transform your pumpkin and other decorations from Halloween to Thanksgiving!
1. Use leaves from your yard or leaf garland and wrap an old wreath or a styrofoam donut to create a very colorful wreath for your front door
2. Display hollowed-out pumpkins filled with potted fall flowers for a stately on your front steps or a gorgeous table centerpiece.
3. Adapt Christmas lights for the Thanksgiving season. Position branches in a pot half filled with small rocks.. Fill in the top of the pot with gourds and pumpkins to add a splash of color, and wrap strands of lights around the bare branches.
4. Turn an old or summer planter into a pumpkin perch for fall. Hot-glue corn-husks to a straw wreath form and set the wreath on top of a planter and place a pumpkin in the wreath. This way you won’t have to put them away for the holiday seasons!
5. Add some pizzazz to your front yard by lining a walkway with pumpkins.
6. Poke holes in the top of your left over Halloween pumpkins with a screwdriver and insert leaf-covered or bare branches with lights into the holes and flank your front door for a dramatic entrance for family and friends.
7. Spray paint tiny gourds and pumpkins in a metallic gold and bronze and put them in a large vase or serving vessel for a table centerpiece.
8. Cut off the top of the gourd and scoop out the goods to create a perfect “flower vase” for your fall flower arrangements and Thanksgiving centerpieces.
9. Paint your mini pumpkins from Halloween in a white or cream color and place them on candle holders, on top of your mantel for a nice display.
10. Use colorful ears of corn with their husks left on and wrap around glass hurricane using twin for a dramatic Thanksgiving candle holder.
Tis' the season to give THANKS
Friday, October 26, 2012
You probably have been wondering where I have been because of my lack of blogging….or not! In case you WERE, I have just been negligent, honestly, but also in was in Highpoint, North Carolina for the annual Furniture Market.
“High Point Market is the home of the largest furnishings industry trade show in the world that brings together more than 80,000 people and 2,000 vendors. Twice a year, retailers, designers, and industry insiders come in droves to see what is new, hot, and trending in home decor.”-Houzz
I have gone for the past 3 years and ALWAYS look forward to it. It gives me the opportunity to see what is new and happening in the design world, first hand.
Here are the trends that I noticed while I was there this year!
Cow hides have been around and trending for some time, but this year Shagrin leather (Stingray Skin), and Ostrich skin gave cowhide a run for its money! All three showing up on seating, tables, even picture frames!
A new take on the classic Charles Eames chair, but now in various versions made from many different materials. This year, none were as clever as the bicycle seat inspired ottomans from Palecek.
Classic Eames Chair
Palecek bicycle inspire seat
3-Chairs with Handles
I guess it is easier to pull out from the table with a handle. I thought this was interested but relatively a simple concept that can do duplicated easily
5- Hardcase Sofas
I noticed that a lot of furniture manufacturers pushed the concept of encased sofas as the hot new trend for seating this year
Been there done that… I know, but these are different- They have a vintage inspired look with modernization through aging processes, coloration, or unique applications.
7- Metal/Wood Como Furniture
Also known as “Live Edge” furniture, this was seen all over! I love this look because is has a great juxtaposition that really lends itself well to the environmental chic look popping up in retail stores all around.
This material was showing up in the most unexpected places…very retro-chic!
9-Quatrefoil and Clover Patterns
As seen HERE in my logo for our wedding…I am a HUGE fan of this pattern and it is showing up in the design world, everywhere in fabrics, furniture and accessories! I am a HUGE fan!!
10-Snout to Tail
It seems that manufacturers are looking to animals as their inspiration. From a new take of taxidermy to really looking down and using animal’s feet as bases; this was seen form showroom to showroom. Very interesting look but put some bird legs in gold leaf and I might even love it!
Friday, October 12, 2012
Whether you have a TON of books or just few with a lot of accessories,styling your bookcases can be as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Mix your books up by having some vertical and others horizontal. Layer them by side on top of each other and in different ways on the various shelves.
2. Add your accessories. Layer accessories in front of the books, on top of the books, and/or in between the books.
3. Finish with the details. Add pictures and/or momentos that make your bookcase unique and personal.
There you have it....1-2-3!
via SAS Interiors
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
It’s as simple as Black and White!!!
The Power of Black and White is simply undeniable, and can be seen from the runways to the interiors of hotels, and homes all across the world!
The use of black and white in design and fashion gives a fresh, clean, and unquestionably sophisticated and elegant look that lasts the test of time.
I am a HUGE fan of black and white and have put together a collection of pictures of how black and white can be used. Whether redecorating your own home, staging a house to sell, designing a commercial space, or getting excited about your new project, black and white is a great place to start. Pay attention how black and white steels the show, but when a tiny bit of color is introduced it pops so brilliantly and can be changed seasonally for a completely different room with such a tiny change….LOVE IT!!!
On the Runway and In Fashion
Chanel and Dolce and Gabana runway
Khloe Kardashian's office
Of course I has to include stripes :)
Love the aqua pop of color!
Love the classic and rustic blend!
Even Outdoor Spaces
Way to keep it classy!!